Public (Open Membership) group auto subscribing users to all forum threads

Is there a setting to not automatically subscribe users to all forum activity when they join a Public (Open membership) group? We want our users to join the group but we don't want to overwhelm them with e-mails from every single forum post added to the group.

• Nick,

Unfortunately, no there is no such setting. Since email is such an integral part of the platform we don't have a setting at all to turn off auto-subscribe on joining a group. It would be possible through custom code, but Telligent doesn't recommend it.

Thanks,

Zac

• In reply to Zac Elsik:

Thanks for the information. But has Telligent thought this through for larger communities? Here's a scenerio, you have a community of 100K users, they post 200 forums a day. As a normal user why would I want to recieve a e-mail each time someone posts a question in the forum? Even as the admin I don't want to get notified of each post.

Now if the user asked a question or responded to the thread I would still expect to get a e-mail notification. Just not understanding why there would not be an option as the admin of the site to turn the auto subscribe option on or off for each group or forum.

• In reply to Nick Hoban:

This subscription is handled by the GroupForumAutoSubscriptionModule CSModule.  You should be able to remove this with something like the following override entry:

<Override xpath="/CommunityServer/CSModules/add[@name='GroupForumAutoSubscriptionModule ']" mode="remove" />

• In reply to Alex Crome:

Alex,

Thanks for the code snippet. Our developer had to do this for a private unlisted group because the members of the group were angry that they were getting e-mails for every single forum post.

The feature may work for some scenarios like a small 10 person group like a working group, but after you get past a small group I am not seeing the advantage for this feature. I would love to see the option in the control panel when setting up a group or forum that we could pick if we want the members to be auto subscribed or not.

Thanks again for your help on the question guys.

• In reply to Nick Hoban:

I'd also like to request this as it is a common request on most Telligent projects we work on. Generally users like to opt-in and not the other way round.

Also It would be great if the tickbox for 'subscribe me to replies to this post' was on the 'in-line' reply of a forum and not on the 'rich text' post view, as users don't get to un-tick this unless they go to the 'rich text' editor view.

Thanks

Adam

• In reply to Adam Seabridge:

I would also like to request this auto-subscribing to forums for groups be an opt-in feature. There sheer amount of activity that is making its way to our community members is getting overwhelming, and dealing with the endless requests to shut it off (and having to say that our vendor doesn't "allow" us the ability to do so across the site) is becoming a serious liability.

• In reply to Patrick Cleary:

- Alex has posted a snippet up above you can put in your communityserver_override.config file to turn OFF the auto subscribe feature.  This will only apply to new users who join the group though.

• In reply to Alex Crome:

Alex Crome

This subscription is handled by the GroupForumAutoSubscriptionModule CSModule.  You should be able to remove this with something like the following override entry:

<Override xpath="/CommunityServer/CSModules/add[@name='GroupForumAutoSubscriptionModule ']" mode="remove" />

I am told by my developer that this override entry is not working in 7.6. Is there a fix or another way?

Related