• Not Answered

Decay factored into number of points per member?

This is unclear to me... if you have Decay enabled and half-life set to 30 days, does that have any implication to the number of points each member accumulates (based on the factors identified in the Member Points System)? I've asked this before and the answer (I believe) was no. However, in interrogating the cs_UserProfile table in our Community database (where posts and points are stored), we are seeing decreases in the number of points for a number of members, but increases in the number of posts. What could be causing that?

12 Replies

• No, points and scoring are 2 completely different sub-systems.  One has no effect on the other.

Are posts being deleted?  Flagged for abuse?  Moderated?  

• In reply to Patrick Mason:

There isn't anything we are aware of that is deleting content or flagging or moderating, at least not in the magnitude we are seeing. We summed up all the points from all members February and March and it went from about 5.2 million to about 4.4 million. That's what has us scratching our heads...

• In reply to Phil Chouinard:

Nothing else has been done to your site in the last month?

• In reply to Patrick Mason:

I wanted to wait a month to see if this was continuing, and it is. We picked 5 fairly active members and this is what we are seeing:

3-Feb 2-Mar 31-Mar
    172682 159746 154590
    101347 94007 95300
    8093 8685 9631
    1541 1768 1786
    11284 11216 11747

The first row is my points. The number of posts for each has definitely increased. Although I am not as active in the communities as I have in the past, there is nothing that has been done to "remove" any of the content that I have created. This is really perplexing.

Are you able to share your factor values?  Just looking at how this is setup, it *could* be possible to lose points if values were entered incorrectly, or certain events happened (lost friends, un-checked a post as verified, deleted wiki posts, etc...)

• In reply to Luke D:

Yes - see attached.

Thanks,

Jesse

• In reply to JesseDringoli:

Has the majority of the content on the site stayed the same?  No major content audits or clean-ups that could have resulted in posts being deleted, archived, etc.??  It looks like the trend is from Feb1 to Mar 1 the points took a dip, but then started to climb again?

• In reply to Luke D:

It also appears the first two users are the only ones who lost significant points - Can you track down who they are and see if they post to anything in common that could have been moved or deleted?

• In reply to Luke D:

Just wondering if all the moving of wikis and blogs to forum threads was being done by you or if anyone else is helping with the moving (as reference here: telligent.com/.../1367886.aspx)  - If you have other team members doing some of this content moving it could result in your account losing points... maybe...

Just trying to help you get to the bottom of this as we have a major feature coming out the door that utilizes points :)

• In reply to Luke D:

Yes, the first one is me... I considered the idea of content I created being "unsomethinged" (e.g. unverified, deleted, etc.) and I just do not recall that happening -- full disclosure, I am the primary site admin, so a lot of those sorts of operations start here. That isn't to say that "something" was not done, I simply do not recall there being any significant operation that would result in such a drop.

• In reply to Luke D:

Luke D

Just wondering if all the moving of wikis and blogs to forum threads was being done by you or if anyone else is helping with the moving (as reference here: telligent.com/.../1367886.aspx)  - If you have other team members doing some of this content moving it could result in your account losing points... maybe...

Just trying to help you get to the bottom of this as we have a major feature coming out the door that utilizes points :)

Appreciate the suggestion... all the "moves" in that context are done by impersonating the member who originally posted. So if member "xyz" posted a question in a wiki article, we impersonate member "xyz", post the question in the applicable forum, and then remove the original wiki article (authored by "xyz"). Same holds true for blog articles and blog and wiki comments. That does not seem like it would have any impact on my points... does it?

The second one on the list is me.

I'm not aware of any bulk deletes that could have happened. I have been moving some wikis around though. We have a new structure in place where wiki articles go within Parent Pages that are based on keywords. From time to time I've cleaned up some of our existing wikis by moving them to the corresponding parent page. This is all within the same wiki though. Seems to me that this shouldn't result in a loss of points though?

Related